Thursday, November 1, 2012

Heart to Heart: Listening/Learning


I've been feeling inspired to write a blogpost like this for a while and something happened today that made me feel like I really shouldn't put it off any more. So I'm just going to sit with my tea while the rain is coming down outside, write, and see what happens. Although it is already 1:30 am so some of this might resonate a bit of exhaustion.

I had a conversation with an acquaintance today over a cup of crappy vending-machine coffee. I myself was feeling somewhat crappy; aptly enough sitting outside the library on a bench staring at people going in and out. So I had known this person for about three years. She's one of those people you say 'hi' to at parties, share a short conversation with about a new film, and go on to stand in awkward silence until one of you has to top up your drink.

I didn't know her well and our acquaintanceship was comfortable enough. But since she was a 4th year as well, our conversation took on a slightly more meaningful subject today. She shared with me some of his experiences in his past that led her to make the decisions that she was facing this year. I have been quite stressed about upcoming prospects with furthering education, finding a job, prioritising people in my life, etc.

What she said was unexpected. She has experienced so many things. Which brings me to my point: people are interesting. I know this may sound a bit silly - it's a simple idea but I really don't think we appreciate that enough in other people most of the time. We're often, unjustly, too busy and consumed in our own lives to sit and simply listen to someone talk about what they're thinking. Some people even feel too entitled or prideful to do so. Everyone has something to say. Everyone has a story and all you have to do is listen. If you're lucky, then you easily find yourself applying that to your own situation. Otherwise, you learn more about that person and who they are - which is not a bad outcome to what would have been another meaningless fag break outside the library.

In my case, I feel like I gained a new perspective on some things. At the end of the day, no one sees the world the same way. Everyone has their opinion and when properly communicated, it can really make a difference to someone else's life. This may all sound cheesy melodramatic but I find it to be quite true. Really listen to what people have to say, understand where they're coming from, then you'll make a friend. It doesn't take as much as people think to feel close to someone and learn more about yourself along the way, which is what friendship is about, isn't it? All you have to do is listen and let them speak their mind.

2 comments:

  1. hello dear,
    i did not know your blog, it's great!
    you have a new follower, follow me back?

    algopasaconmeryblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! Sometimes talking to "new" people is always the best, often times they've experienced nothing you have, and you nothing they have. And its great to hear someone else's perspective :)

    ReplyDelete