Thursday, October 4, 2012

All About Highlighting

I think highlighting is one of the most important steps in makeup. It can make you appear so fresh-faced and contoured without look like you put on too much makeup. I never apply bronzer and rarely apply blush because I feel like it can look really obvious. For me, highlighting is enough on a day to day basis for giving my face more dimension.

I usually dust (or dab) the powder down the bridge of my nose, cupids bow, cheekbones and chin. I sometimes dust some on my forehead as well.

For the eyes, highlighting your brow bone is obviously the most important. I dislike really white highlighters - it shouldn't really be visible, it should just have a sheen. MAC naked lunch is a good one as well. I love applying some on my inner corner as well.

This MAC highlighter actually came with my brow powder and is meant for your brow bone. I find that when applied sparingly on the cheekbones or nose bridge, it can have a really nice effect. I think the main thing is that it's mostly a sheen and is skin coloured, so it looks better than a shimmery power. (Pictured below - I hope you can see the very subtle effect it gives)





The Guerlain meteorites are really good for highlighting on days when I'm going out. It seems quite subtle under normal light but can have the disco-ball effect under the sun. I actually mix it with my regular power (MAC mineralised skinfinish natural) on some days and dust it all over my face for an all over glow.

I used to use liquid highlighters like the Body Shop one. It was good but I found it hard to work with at times. It would mix badly with the foundation and you have to use the smalled amount. I just find powder highlighters to be less high maintenance.

What are some of your favourite highlighters? 

No comments:

Post a Comment