Monday, October 15, 2012

Film Review: Rent

Rent is by far my favourite musical of all time. I always listen to the soundtrack when I'm feeling down. The film, directed by Christopher Columbus, was quite good as well. I've always been so intrigued by the topic (it tackled the issue of AIDS sufferers in the 1990/80s) and the culture of Alphabet City during that time. It's based on Puccini's La vie Boheme, so there are themes of social marginalisation and counterculture. But what's emphasised above all of that is friendship, love, and living your life in the moment. I know musicals aren't for everyone but I feel like this one is quite watchable even for those who don't like people spontaneously bursting into song. There are not huge dance numbers and a lot of the songs sound very pop rock as opposed to prancing-over zealous musical numbers. 

Unfortunately, it's no longer running on Broadway but I hope you get the chance to watch the film if you haven't already - here are some stills! 


Alphabet City Chic



From my favourite song


No comments:

Post a Comment