Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Marc Jacobs Dot

I have a confession to make - I bought this fragrance almost without trying it first. It is definitely not something I recommend. The story goes: I was shopping around in duty free at the airport and knew that I had no perfume to use at my new destination. I had heard of Marc Jacobs's new perfume a few months ago and was dying to try it, as I am a long user of Daisy. So I took a leap of faith and bought it after my first test spray. I just started using it a few days ago even though I've had it for a month. I had a tiny supply of Daisy left in my Travalo, so I've been using that - I guess I've been subconsciously nervous that I had made a mistake? 



Here's the description of notes in the fragrance: 

This light and juicy fragrance has top notes of red berries, dragonfruit and sweet honeysuckle. A lush floral heart blooms with jasmine energised by notes of coconut water and orange blossom. Lingering notes of creamy vanilla, driftwood and sensual musk round off this charming and sophisticated scent.

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to disagree with this description. It's supposed to be a fruity scent but the top notes just don't come through as much as they should. When it's first sprayed, you can definitely smell the dragonfruit, red berries, and a bit of honeysuckle. But they don't linger very long and the scent dries down to a mostly floral scent - with the orange blossom standing out more than any other note. I can't really say anything about the vanilla, driftwood and musk - maybe it's because I'm just getting over a cold but it just doesn't seem like a very complex fragrance overall. As for staying power, I have to say it's pretty average, even weak, it lasts about 2 -3 hours on me. 

So Dot, I would say, is perfect for what it is: a fun or "charming" fragrance. Although it's nothing special, I think it's a good non offensive scent for everyday use, which is on par with my general attitude about Daisy. If you're a diehard Marc Jacobs fan, then go for it (or even for the disgustingly cute bottle?) but I would say pass if you're looking for something sophisticated or unique. 

No comments:

Post a Comment